Monday, June 29, 2009

Michael Jackson resurfaced...after USA lost the final.

News of Michael Jackson's death was apparently so shocking that football could not distance itself from it.

On Friday, a day after the death, I saw this story on a hardcore football website mourning the passing of the so-called King of Pop. I felt it was an isolated case as the link to football was purportedly the fact that Wacko was to have performed at next year's World Cup in South Africa.

Okay that's cool.

And then you can imagine to my consternation when I heard reporters asking coach Bob Bradley and Landon Donovan for reactions to MJ's death after the match.

After a game in which the USA captain had seen his team's 2-0 lead overtaken by an inspired Brazil team.

Honestly, if I were Donovan, I am SURE to have hurled unprintable four-letter words at the reporter. Yes, MJ was a great guy but honestly...!



______